Turks and Caicos



In November 2018 I traveled to the beautiful islands of Turks and Caicos. As I flew into Providenciales, I peeked out my small plane window and gazed at the most beautiful blue water I ever laid my eyes on. I was so eager to get off the plane and on to the beach, I nearly sprinted off the plane and onto the tarmac. The small airport was welcoming and gave me all types of island vibes. My friends and I took a van to our resort, which was only a 10-15 minute drive, and about $20 per person. Driving through the city you can tell how tourism fuels the tiny island.

We stayed at the Villa del Mar. Once you walked through the reception area you are greeted by two swimming pools, a hot tub, a bar, and loungers. The resort was family oriented and smaller than other resorts on the island. We appreciated how small it was during our stay. The staff was very personable and we even met up with some of them later in the week. This resort was one of the more affordable locations with continental breakfast and direct beach access.

The beaches in Turks and Caicos have to be the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I've been to many beaches but nothing compares to Turks. The water was extremely clear and so many shades of blue. While in the water you could see the soft, white sand that stretched on for miles in every direction. Our section of the beach had loungers and cabanas that were free to lay in. Villa del Mar does not own any bar services on the beach but the placement of the loungers are between the Grace Bay Club and the Ocean Club West. The Grace Bay club has a bar and a full dining experience on the beach for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food and drinks are very pricey! The Ocean Club West has a restaurant named Solana. They have someone who walks the beach taking orders for affordable food and drinks. If he is not roaming the beach you could always walk no more than 500 feet to the restaurant.



Nightlife in Providenciales is not the best. If you are looking for a destination to go wild, this is not the place for you. They have a couple local bars and a local night club. The first night we went out we went to the $5 bar with some locals we met. The bar doesn't have an actual name, it's just called the $5 bar. Drinks are $5 and there is a DJ playing reggae all night. There is another club called Club Versace. It is smaller but the atmosphere was lively and there was a lot of dancing.

While visiting the island I got to experience riding horses in the ocean and snorkeling. I was very hesitant about riding in the ocean. I don't know what it is but I can honestly say I do NOT like animals. Like in any kind of way. So getting on that horse was already a terrible idea for me. The company we rode through is Provo Ponies. They have amazing reviews and amazing customer service. They have a driver pick you up from your resort and take you back for a small price. They have the option for you to find your own way or drive yourself. We decided to use the driver service. The ride was not very long but it was very interesting to see the actual city of Providenciales. Once out of the touristy area you really get the chance to see the real island. It is full of so many hues of green. You take a route to what I would consider hilly or mountainous. I could finally hear the birds and smell the ocean through the van windows, really take in my surroundings and where I was.  I saw the local high school on my way to the excursion just as the students were leaving and walking home. At Provo Ponies, you are immediately greeted by the horse trainers. They fit you for a helmet (optional), offer you waterproof bags for your cell phone, confirm your height and weight, and have you sign a waiver. I did not have closed toed shoes because I'm an idiot but Provo Ponies had extra in every size. They were completely attentive and very clear in their instructions on what to do with the horses. They matched the horses with your height and weight and had us get on our horses one by one. So, of course, knowing how nervous I am and also knowing how I have such bad luck; I got stuck with the ass-hole horse. I had the one horse in the entire facility that is known for always kicking people, can't walk near any of the horses but two, and sometimes would not enter the water. The instructors follow you close by on the stroll to the ocean. It is very scenic and only 6-8 mins long. Once you enter the water they go around and take pictures of you and your group. The stroll in the ocean was about 50 mins. I enjoyed the horse ride but I know it could have been better if my horse was normal. Also, horses shit in the water and walk through it. Which means your legs go through the shit, just wish someone would've warned me.




We also went snorkeling through Caicos Dream Tours. They had a driver come and pick us up for a small fee there and back. The boat ride out there, we were offered beer, rum punch, and chips. Once we got to the reef we were instructed where to swim. In the water, it was a free for all and when you got tired you could get back on the boat. They even let us jump off the boat in the ocean. The staff was cool as hell and really made the excursion. After snorkeling, they take you to iguana island. The ride there they pass out lunch which is just an assortment of sandwiches and a tasty conch salad. On this island, you can watch them make conch salad or just do what we did and chase iguanas.

To celebrate my friend's birthday we dressed up and enjoyed dinner at Coco Bistro. I may be a little bias but this had to be the best food night I have experienced in a while. First off the tables are outside and scattered around dim lights and greenery. The entire staff is made up of the most beautiful black men they could find on the island. I was in Black Man heaven. The service was impeccable! Before you even realized the things you needed you had it. The server and the server's assistant were in tune the entire meal. Nothing was taken from the table unobtrusive. Things would just disappear and reappear. We started our meal with Conch 2 Ways, the sweet and sour Conch had the most perfect balance. For my main course, I had the West Indian Style Shrimp Curry. My entree was more than enough and I promise I was licking the bowl at the end. The spice from the curry, balanced with the coconut rice, gave a flavor I can't describe. I don't think we really even talked once we got our food.




Overall, Turks was the most beautiful place I have been in a while. It is not much of a party island unless you are prepared to just get fucked up with your friends. Most of the bars closed early, there were a lot of honeymooners, and a lot of older, retired couples. The couple of locals we hung out with showed us a great time. All of the locals were extremely polite and everyone is friendly. The downside to Turks and Caicos is how expensive it is there. We were smart and packed some alcohol and wine. My friend brought a flask so every night we would order juice or soda and pour vodka in our drinks. Grocery, food, anything you spend money on, is very expensive. If I could redo this trip I would have saved more money and packed more alcohol in my bag.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just JAR | All rights reserved.
Blogger Theme Created by pipdig